Friday 12 December 2014

Task 6.B Tools for Professional Inquiry

Tools for Professional Inquiry



Before looking at the reader on ‘The Four Tools’ I made a mock survey/ questionnaire for task 1, which I now feel is inadequate and not detailed enough. I chose questions based on dance therapy for teenager, hoping to get a better understand of how many students in a class are using real life stories for inspiration. I now realised there are no methods to my survey. Most questions are open; leaving me with a large pile of information spread over a wide range. I hadn't planned it statistically or designed it in such a way to better analyse later. I have since read the document on the four tools; now I have a better understand of how to structure a successful survey.

I will most likely be using a range of methods; all will benefit my inquiry and the quality of my research. This will help when I come to analysing the data, or will this be too much? Is it best to stick with one or two? This is something I hope to ask my fellow BAPP arts students about, via my communities and blog.

Observations 

For my inquiry, observations are going to be the easiest method for me to conduct. As my timetable changes daily it would be difficult for me to have an allocated time with students. I regularly have free lessons so observing another teacher dance class is very easy for me. I don’t need consent as I am a member of staff and there would be no disruption to their learning or the teacher’s lesson plan. As a teacher would be in the room there will be no need for a gatekeeper. Lesson observations are something I do regularly as part of my progress so the students wouldn’t be surprised to see me there, nor distracted. This means I can gather information and study the students in a natural behavioural nature.

Dance at KS4 is only available to students who have chosen it as an option, there for, all students taking part in my inquiry will be involved in dance by choice. As I am training to be a secondary dance teacher I believe a study in this area, focusing on KS4, will be beneficial to my future career and to the school. Creating a piece of choreography from a stimulus is one of the critical aspects of GCSE dance, the student begin working independently on these pieces mid way through year 10. As there are 3 year groups in KS4 and 2 classes in each year group I will have many opportunities to observe students working independently on choreography. Observations of this manner, combined with surveys will allow me to pin point and analyse the students using their own personal struggles to create their piece. It will be interesting to see how the students using real stories progress as a pose to the students using a stimulus external to their own life e.g. poem or historical event.

Focus Group

Focus groups will be a difficult method for me to apply as my school days are so varied. I often have plenty of free time, but it’s almost impossible to determine when I will be free. The only way I would be able to run a successful focus group, would be to run one after school. As I already run many extracurricular clubs after school this wouldn’t be a problem. However, I know how unreliable students can be when it involves staying behind after school. This would also be interrupted for school events and staff meetings.

It would be beneficial to my study to have all the students using dance therapy in one group; analysing their behaviour collectively would make it easier to pick up on patterns and similar techniques. This may be possible on one or two occasions but probably won’t be something I can set up as a structured timetable.

A focus group would be a great way to record the students working independently. The dance department at my school has flip cams that we use to record and document evidence of students progress. This would be ideal to record the different stages of the student’s choreographed piece; to show the different stages of development.

A sit down focus group would not work for my study. The student’s stories are very personal, there for; recording conversations and asking them to discuss their inspiration would be too difficult. The students would not want to share these personal details will fellow students, it would also be unfair of me to ask. One to one interviews and recorded group sessions are going to be the best approach for a sensitive topic like this.

Interview

Face to face interviews are going to be a key factor in my study. This qualitative method allows me to use open questions and probe responses. I can investigate motives and ask a lot of ‘how’ and ‘why’ questions; hoping to create a more informal approach. I am hoping this will create a relaxed and safe environment; hopefully this will encourage students to open up about how dance has helped them. I have already had very brief conversations with students on this topic, which prompted the idea for this inquiry.

Telephone interviews will not be required as I see the students five days a week. Most interviews will be one to one, with the possibility of trailing a small group one.

I will begin by narrowing down a list of semi structured questions on the topic; this method will allow flexibility not only in how the students interpret the questions but also in how they respond. I may try a more structured interview once I have gathered enough information, making the questions more closed for a more analytical approach.

I am still unsure exactly what my proposed title will be; I have a few questions in mind.  I am still in the process of narrowing down my idea; I am hoping the informal trial will help me with this.

Interviews and lesson observations will take place at school, in the main hall. All data will be collected and stored on the school system, for child protection purposes. Consent forms for interviews and recorded material will need to go out to parents along with a cover letter explaining my inquiry and what is it for. If I need to use images and recordings in an appendix or for my blog, further letters will need to be sent out along with a discussion with the school head, prior to any arrangements.

Survey/ Questionnaires

Questionnaires are going to be the best method to help narrow down my questions. Using questionnaires I can gather information and use the analysing tools to point out areas of interest. This will also help me to determine which students to use and why.

 Survey monkey may be a good way to go about it; anonymous surveys are usually more reliable. I may need to attach a cover letter explaining the inquiry, hopefully this will encouraging students to participate. Having information from students of all ages, abilities and background may provide interesting insight leading my inquiry into a new direction.

The first survey will be a qualitative questionnaire; allowing students freedom for expression. Qualitative responses will give the student free range to go into detail to explain their answer, giving me greater insight and providing more evidence to support my theory. Questionnaires of this kind are great for research; however, this can be time consuming to code or analyse and responses can be misinterpreted. I’m hoping by using a mix of Qualitative and Quantitative surveys with both closed and open questions I will have enough varied data for my inquiry.




No comments:

Post a Comment