Friday 15 May 2015

Professional Artefact

Professional Artefact
Throughout the course of my professional inquiry, I was able to record many hours of footage in regards to independent learning. The footage included intervention sessions, and interviews with teachers and students. The staff and pupils at my place of work have been very supportive throughout the process, lending me their precious time to gather evidence needed for this investigation.
During the analysis part of my inquiry I realised how much useful footage I had that would never be seen again. This got me to thinking about the choreography unit and how students don’t have any resources that show the process through the eyes of a learner. I decided to collate the footage and create a video for students, who are preparing to begin unit 4B.
Whilst editing the footage I realised I had no place for the teacher interviews. They would not be appropriate or beneficial to the student video and it would make no sense to have them as part of the artefact. The recordings of teachers were so insightful that I came to the conclusion my artefact should be beneficial for both students and teachers. I decided to create a second part to my Professional Artefact that would be purely for the purpose of teachers.

Part 1
Part one of my artefact is a compilation of student’s rehearsals, catch-up progress clips and student interviews. Its unit 4B of the G.C.S.E specification in a nut shell, providing assessment criteria and important information for any dancer about to begin this choreography unit. It is a brief look into the process and guides the viewer from the beginning of the unit right the way through to final performance. It is a glimpse into the choreographic process from start to finish through the eyes of students. Part one currently runs at approximately one hour long, however my goal is to continue to edit the footage until it is a forty-five minute teaching tool. I intend to add mini tasks throughout the video to ensure students retain important information. By doing this I hope to create not only a helpful resource, but a complete lesson to be used by teachers, for students beginning unit 4B.

Part 2

Part 2 is simply a compilation of interviews conducted with teachers currently working within the Performing Arts department, on the topic of independent learning and working creatively at G.C.S.E level. The footage is a great way to compare the differences and similarities between the arts departments and highlights the many ways in which they structure independent learning. It includes many key teaching areas such as, supporting students when working creatively, structuring and scaffolding independent learning, methods for motivation and general teaching advice and guidance. The current video is thirty-two minutes long and could potentially be a used as resource for professional development. I indent to share the video with my fellow colleagues and take on board any advice they may have in order to continue developing this artefact. 

No comments:

Post a Comment